The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So says Arthur Dent, moments before the Earth is destroyed to make way for a pan-galactic bypass. Normally that would happen at the end of a tragic drama, not the beginning of a comedy. Though I do remember one of my high school English teachers explaining that a tragedy starts with everyone happy and ends with everyone unhappy or dead. A comedy is the opposite story progression. So from that view, it makes sense to start a comedy with the destruction of the world. Things can only get better form here. At least they can't get any worse. Probably.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is hilarious, but everyone says that. This is my second time reading it, though I've seen the movie a few times. This time through, I was surprised by just how quick of a read it is. I think it took roughly the same time to read this book as it would have to watch the movie. Which means that I'll probably be reading the book a lot more in the future. It's fast and funny and a good way to while away an afternoon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel