The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

About fifty pages into The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adam's sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I began to have the feeling that I'd read it before. The scene of Zaphod climbing down the building which stuck in the ground at a 45 degree angle was eerily familiar. I already knew that the end of the universe was a temporal reference, not a spatial one, but I chalked that up to probably being a Futurama episode I'd half-forgotten. By the time Arthur and Ford arrived on Earth 20,000 years before it will have been blown up, I knew I'd already read this book. But it had taken me the entire book to reach that conclusion.

Even though I just finished this book, those are still the only three details that are sticking in my mind. It's not that this book is bad. It was entertaining. But it was like a mediocre episode of Futurama. Something I'm bound to forget the details of because I'm simply not paying close enough attention. There just wasn't anything that really grabbed me.

It's a bit sad, because I loved the first book so much. But this one left me wanting something more substantial. Which is funny, because it probably has *more* plot than HHG.

At this point, unless someone offers a really compelling reason, I probably won't be continuing this series. At least not any time soon. There are so many other books I want to read, and the blahness of this one sent the rest of the series plummeting to the bottom of my to-read list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel