A Wrinlkle in Time

Somehow I managed to escape childhood without every reading Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. I'm not sure exactly how this happened except that I was absolutely obsessed with The Baby-Sitter's Club around the time I ought to have read this book. I guess I just missed it in my desire to read more about the residents of Stoneybrooke.

Regardless, I have now read A Wrinkle in Time. And while I'm sad that it took me this long, I'm glad I finally got my hands on this book. It follows Meg Murry, her younger brother Charles, and their new friend Calvin on a quest across the universe to save their father from an evil shadow that prizes conformity. There's some fun science fiction in the form of alien planets and beings and a tesseract. Clearly Meg should have been on hand to help the Avengers understand that artifact.

Meg herself reminded me a lot of Xander, from Buffy. She's not the smartest person and tends to lash out when she has trouble in school. She's got a whole lot of anger that she doesn't always direct at the proper person. And she is able to save her younger brother using love.

This book is really sweet, and definitely one I wish I had read when I was a lot younger. It's going straight on the "future offspring" shelf in my library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel