Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless is the fifth and final book in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy. Which means I finally finished it!

I enjoyed this book a lot, but I have to say that I think I would have enjoyed the entire series more if I hadn't spread it over nearly two years. I kept forgetting plot details and trying vainly to remember what had happened in the previous books. Was Arthur still stuck in the past? Did Trillian die in the other timeline or just vanish from the story? Is Zaphod even relevant anymore? So I think a complete re-read is in order at some point. The books are short enough that I can't imagine it taking too long. Maybe once the weather warms up and I can spend my afternoons lazing outside with a book, I'll revisit this series as a whole.

Overall, the plot of this book seemed way more cohesive than any of the previous books. That may be due to lack of memory, or it may be because this book was headed, inevitable, for a very definite ending. As shocking and dark as that ending was, it provides a nice sense of symmetry to the series as a whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel