Storm Front

I've been meaning to read The Dresden Files for a few years now. I remember a friend of mine in high school being very excited when one of the books was released. In the time since then, I've been hearing more and more about the series, and it always seemed like something I'd be interested in.

When a member of my book club suggested a book from The Dresden Files for our meeting next month, I was excited to for a chance to check out the series. Unfortunately, the book he picked is the thirteenth in the series. When I realized this, I decided to go ahead and try to read the series through the 13th book in time for the book club meeting. Which gives me five weeks. That's doable, right?

Considering that the first book only took two days to read, I definitely think I can meet my goal of reading the next twelve before May 28th. In the meantime, this blog is going to get a bit Dresden Files heavy, though.

This series, written by Jim Butcher, follows a wizard-detective dealing with the supernatural underbelly of Chicago. In the first book he's pursuing two seemingly unrelated cases that come together in an unexpected way at the end of the book. It was really entertaining, but not perfect.

The main character, Harry Dresden is a chauvinist pig. Every woman in the book is described in terms of how attracted he is to them. They all have to be saved by him at some point or other, including the tough-as-nails and supremely capable cop who calls Dresden in to consult on her stranger cases. He has a serious white-knight complex that he explains away as his old-fashioned and chivalrous qualities.

Despite how sexist Dresden can be, he's also an incredibly inventive wizard, which makes the fight scenes a lot of fun. There are hard rules to magic that he has to work within, and he's often forced to improvise with whatever is around him when the fight takes place.

The plot of the book is also really exciting. There were enough balls in the air to keep me interested and enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. Unlike some detective novels, I didn't solve the mystery before the protagonist (well, not much before) and the end of the novel was taken up by a climactic battle with the bad guy.

Going forward, I hope that the books remain interesting enough to distract me from Harry's unfortunate views about women. If things get really bad, I'll just skip ahead to the 13th book and save myself the headaches. But for the most part, I'm committed to this series for the next several weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel