The Nanny Diaries

The Nanny Diaries is not great literature. But it is fun and light and exactly the palate cleanser I need after binging on Harry Dresden for a few weeks.

The book follows Nanny, a senior at NYU, as she takes care of four-year-old Grayer X. She finds herself juggling Mrs. X's impossible demands with her knowledge of Mr. X's affair, and eventually the demands of his mistress as well. All the while she is attempting to shield Grayer from his parents, finish her thesis so she can graduate, and negotiate a blossoming relationship with one of the X's neighbors.

There isn't a lot to this book. It's a fun look at the insanity of the incredibly wealthy. Mostly it made me appreciate my own life and work a lot more, as I'm not trying to juggle a slew of absolutely ridiculous demands. But the ending is rather abrupt and leaves a lot of loose ends.

The greatest part about reading this book is my discovery that they made a movie out of it starring Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans. I'm kind of excited to track this down and watch it, even though I'm sure it's your average rom-com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel