Heir to the Empire

Good God, this book took a long time to read. It's not that it was particularly bad; it's just that Candy Crush was usually more interesting. This book is silly and riddled with plot holes, but entertaining in its own way

I'd been vaguely aware of this trilogy for most of my life. Around the time the prequel trilogy was announced, one of my parents told me the basic plot of what happened after the original movies, at least according to these books. Well, they told me that Leia and Han got married, Leia gave birth to twins, and Luke started a new school for Jedis. Since the new movies were starting to come out, I assumed I wouldn't have to wait long for this trilogy to come out as a movie either.

How young and foolish I was.

Now that we've been promised new movies, I have very little faith that they will either cover this material or be very good. So when Kevin picked up the first two books of The Thrawn Trilogy at a used book sale, I figured it was finally time for me to read them.

Kevin described the books pretty accurately when he told me that it was like someone had turned the dialogue of the movies into confetti and constructed a story around hem. By the end of the novel I was anticipating dialogue based on the situations that characters found themselves in.

Still it was fun to see more of the Star Wars universe. Places like the woodie home world were absolutely fascinating. And even if Coruscant didn't mesh with my vision from the prequel movies, it was still cool. I also need to say that I absolutely loved Mara Jade.

It'll probably be a while before I attempt the next book. I don't feel any great urgency to find out what happens next, and I'm ready for a book that really commands my attention. But it will be there waiting the next time I need something light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel