Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It is surprisingly difficult to write about the last Harry Potter book. Maybe it's because, even though I know I can go back and read them again whenever I want, I'm not entirely ready for it to end. I'm never ready for it to end. Though I did manage to stop myself from charging straight ahead into the epilogue this time. Mostly because I went and signed up for a new Pottermore account instead.

This book came out just after my 21st birthday. Nearly everyone who was staying at school over the summer had pre-ordered it, and when they arrived, the wonderful mailman loaded them all up on a dolly and came around to all the dorms to deliver them. Seeing him roll into the courtyard with a huge stack of Harry Potters is still one of my favorite memories. Eveyrone grabbed their books and disappeared into their rooms to read them. Although this time around it took several days, since we had to fit it in around work and my (truly epic) 21st birthday party.

Since then I've only re-read this book (and the whole series) once or twice. It never felt right to jump around in the series, which means that I'm least familiar with this book. It's almost a shame because this book is so good and holds up really well on re-reads. Then again, a lot of that is probably because it pays off so well on the growth of all the characters over the previous six books. Of course, I know those arcs so well at this point, that I'm sure this book would affect me the same regardless of whether I preceded it with the rest of the series.

The ending of this book was a wild ride. I found myself stopping every few paragraphs to laugh or cry or just sit in awe as my emotions careened around the kitchen. I kept putting the book down just so I could keep reading for a little bit longer. I'm already kicking myself for going so long between re-reads this past time. Though hopefully Pottermore, and all the extra info JK Rowling has been releasing, will help fill that gap until I find time to dive into this series again (and again and again).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel