The Night Circus

This book was perfect. If I could leave my life behind and live out the rest of my days inside of a book, it would be The Night Circus.

I'll try to parse this, to explain what I loved so much about this book.

To start with, as always, the characters were phenomenal. The love story between Celia and Marco was electric and passionate. Isobel's role was tragic, but understandable. Same with Tsukiko. The children, Poppet and Widget and Bailey, were exactly the bright future I wanted. The shadowy puppet masters were perfectly aloof and manipulative. All I wanted was for everyone to get along and have their happily ever after.

The structure also played right into all of my weaknesses. I've come to realize recently that this format, short vignettes from various view points, is, if not my favorite, then one of my favorites. The story jumps in time, circling back on itself to look at events from another angle. It includes a wealth of characters, bringing them all to life. It even addresses the reader directly, allowing you to explore the circus apart from the characters who populate it.

And the circus itself is nothing short of magical. There is just enough description for you to picture it clearly, but personally. There's some mystery left, as there ought to be in a setting like this. There are holes for the reader to fill in.

I was just swept away by the book. By the language and the characters. By the epic romance and the magic of the circus. It got me thinking about the intricacies of clocks, the similarities of fashion and architecture, the battle between destiny and free will. I fell in love reading it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel