Ms Marvel: No Normal

One of my favorite things about warmer weather is being able to spend a few lazy hours outside reading comic books. I'm not sure how or when I got it into my head that comic books are better enjoyed out in the sun, but it definitely stuck. Which puts me in a weird place where I hear about all these great comics and then wait forever until the weather is actually warm enough (for me) to read them.

All this to say that I've been looking forward to Ms. Marvel for over a year, and I finally got around to it. I'd seen a few scenes online and read more than a few gushing essays about this or that aspect of the story. When you wait that long to read something, absorbing all the hype in the meantime, there's a very, very good chance that it will let you down. But Ms. Marvel didn't. It was exactly what I expected and wanted it to be. And there's something special and perfect about that.

This is the story of a teenager who is already struggling with her identity when she is suddenly bestowed with super powers. She's a first-generation Pakistani-American living in Jersey City. She constantly comes into conflict with her parents who are strict and traditional but also endlessly caring and supportive. She loves super heroes and positively idolizes Captain Marvel, who she's sure has everything figured out. She wants to be normal without forsaking her heritage and has no idea how to balance that. Then, suddenly, she can shape-shift.

What's really impressive is how quickly she begins to use her powers to help the people around her. It's not even a question. She saves the life of the nastiest girl in school, without even a hope of recognition, because it's the right thing to do. She risks the ire of her parents time and again to help her friend's brother, who has gotten in over his head with some local criminals. She's so determined to be a super hero, and she's such a fundamentally good person besides. It's a bit of a relief that her identity crisis is more about balancing the tradition of her heritage with the progressiveness of being an American teen, rather than figuring out what to do with her new powers.

This volume ends with a cliffhanger with the main villain, The Inventor, revealed but still in the shadows and Kamala unable to yet tell her parents what's going on with her. I don't feel like there's any real question that she will, eventually, tell them. Their love is too strong for her to keep this a secret forever. But I'm excited to see how she gets there, what finally pushes her to come clean.

The good news is, since I waited so long to read this volume, I only have to wait a couple more weeks until the second volume is out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel