The First of Heaven

With the fifth Wheel of Time book, I feel like I'm settling in to this world. I know a few of the major plot points coming up, because sometimes I just can't help myself when it comes to spoilers. Okay, most of the time. It helps, though. For instance, I went into this book knowing that Perrin wasn't in it, and that kept me from spending a lot of time wondering when he was going to turn up. I'm also able to sit back and enjoy the journeys of these characters. Watch them become the kind of people who are going to save the world.

The Fires of Heaven mostly splits its time between Rand and Nynaeve. We get a few chapters from the points of view of the people around them: Mat and Egwene and Elayne. And there's a subplot concerning the former Amyrlin Seat and the exiled Aes Sedai. Another about Queen Morgase losing her throne. But mostly this book is all about Rand and Nynaeve.

Rand is beginning to come into his own. He's hardening himself in preparation to lead armies into battle. He's learning about strategy and tactics. About using people to his own ends and distancing himself to save heartache. At the same time he's also learning about love and things worth fighting for. He's recognizing his limits and finding ways to learn more about his power and how to fight. He's getting good at recognizing what he can do and relying on others for what he can't. It's refreshing in some ways, even though you're watching a formerly likable character turn into someone not so likable. But it makes sense. He's doing what he has to do to win the war, to save the world. And he's retaining enough humility and humanity to keep him just on the side of the good guys.

Going into the series I knew I wasn't supposed to like Rand, who, after all, is the protagonist. He's the boring chosen one. But I'm finding myself liking him more and more as a character. He's interesting and brave. The kind of person I'd want in charge of this sort of thing.

Then there's Nynaeve. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to a pattern. Jordan taking a character I liked, letting me see more of them to the point that I start hating them, and then redeeming them just before the end of the book. It happened with Perrin and Faile in the last book and in this book it as all about Nynaeve.

Nynaeve is arrogant and ignorant. She's hypocritical. She walks into situations thinking she knows best and then it blows up in her face and then she blames everyone but herself. She's stuck in her worldview, used to being in charge. Most of her narrative in this book is downright infuriating, and there was more than one time that I wanted to slap her.

But by the end...by the end she wasn't better. She was taking steps in that direction. She finally acknowledged some of her weaknesses and is starting to work on fixing them. And I was ultimately reminded of her good qualities. Her loyalty and bravery. Her desire to make the world a better place and heal the sick and injured around her. We may have different ideas about what would make the world a better place, especially since she's a complete stickler for rigid gender roles and I'm not. But she tries. She gets humbled. She picks up and keeps going. I'm eager to see what happens next.

One of the things I'm starting to appreciate about this series is the way the length lets Jordan dive so deeply into his characters and world. He came up with some mightily stubborn characters. They have to change if they're going to grow up, and that change is going to take a while. It's going to require some spectacular defeats and a lot of time. But it's happening. And it's cool to see it happening so organically.

On top of the characters, there's a ton that happens in this book. Rand ends with control of Cairhien, Tear, and Caemlyn, with plans to take Illian. Two more Forsaken are dead and one is close to being captured. More of the seals are broken, and I've actually lost count but I think there might just be one left? If there are any. I'm excited to see what happens next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel