The Silkworm

Before I read this book, I was warned that there was a cannibalism aspect to the murder mystery. Fearing the absolute worst, I braced myself. But it turned out that the cannibalism was mostly metaphorical, part of the book within a book that the murder is based on. So my first thought upon finishing was that it was much milder than I expected. And my second thought was that that was the strangest reaction I've had to a book in a long time.

I love JK Rowling's Cormoran Strike series. Only two books in, but he and Robin are fun, smart people to hang out with. I like the way Rowling doles out clues, which leaves me feeling like I'm constantly on the verge of figuring things out. And I certainly could if I paid closer attention or flipped back to re-read passages. But as it stands I haven't been able to solve the mystery before the big reveal in either of her books. Which is a nice change of pace for someone who often sees the ending coming a mile away.

If I have a complaint it's that I wish Robin were a bigger part of the books. I'd like her to be more equal, less assistant, and to take up a larger portion of the chapters. Though I understand why she doesn't. But she seemed to be in this book far less than the last one, and I'm hoping that changes in the future as she becomes more skilled.

Other than Robin getting the short stick, I really enjoyed this book. The suspect pool was large and interesting, and the murder had me flummoxed. I have a lot of fun reading these mysteries, and it makes me think I should sample some more of the genre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel