Towers of Midnight

I know I just said that The Gathering Storm was likely going to be my favorite book in this series. I have to immediately retract that statement, because Towers of Midnight knocked it out of the park. I had so much fun reading this book that, even though it's the longest book I've ever read (clocking in at 1220 pages) (and barring Bone, a 1300 page comic), I almost wish it had been longer. At least there's one more book after this (followed by everything the amazingly prolific Sanderson has written).

The thing that makes this book so great is the sense of hope that permeates it. Unlike the last book, which focused on moving Rand and Egwene into the positions they needed to be in for the last battle, this book widens to include every other character. And it's amazing. Character arcs are finished off as person after person embraces their strengths and sheds their last doubts. Side plots are tied off as everyone heads to the Final Battle. Reunions bring characters back together and everyone has finally figures out how to communicate effectively. Sanderson definitely understands relationships better than Jordan ever did, and he sets everyone on the course for a happy ending.

Well, that's not universally true. It's true enough that I spent a significant part of this book blinking back tears of joy. But Aveindha's story line gives a glimpse of a rather bleak future. It's hard to say whether that future is set in stone or not. We've already seen a lot of possible and plausible futures averted or shown wrong. But we've also seen many a prophecy come true, albeit in a round-about way. But if the future Aviendha saw is true, well, I might have some serious problems with this series by the end. I'm not sure that's a question that will be answered within the scope of this series, which at least means that I can choose the ending that makes me happy.

There's just one book left, and it's essentially an 1100 page battle. The Final Battle is here, and all that's left to do is defeat the Dark One once and for all. I'm not even sure whether I want to dive right in or hold off so I can savor the series for just a little longer. I can't believe it's almost over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel