The Killing Moon

This book was amazing. I shouldn't be surprised, since I've been hearing about NK Jemisin for years, and I really enjoyed The Inheritance Trilogy. But I had such a hard time finding this book and it's sequel that I was worried it had gone out of print. Which isn't always the best sign when a book's been out for less than five years. Then again, who knows how the book industry works and why stores decide to stock what they stock.

Jemisin takes a slightly different approach to fantasy than I'm used to seeing. Most high fantasy, especially most popular high fantasy, draws it's inspiration from European history and mythology. At least in the United States. But Jemisin makes an effort to draw inspiration from different places in the world, and to be as respectful of those sources as possible (She actually has some great commentary about JK Rowling's recent foray into American Indian folklore). I'm sure there are other authors who do this, but very few of them have the recognition that Jemisin does. It's always more of an effort to seek out stories like this one.

Which makes them all the better for feeling truly original.

The Killing Moon takes place in a world that most closely resembles Ancient Egypt, though there are clearly other sources of inspiration as well. The priests in this world have been able to tap the power of dreams, which they use both to heal and to kill. Ostensibly, the old and infirm willingly give their lives so that their dreamblood can be harvested to heal the young and less inform. This magic is only practiced in one city, but that city appears to be a crime-free utopia.

It doesn't take much digging to reveal the corrupt underbelly, and what follows is a thrilling adventure as some elements push for war while others seek to prevent it. And threaded through all of this is a fascinating discussion about end of life care. About assisted death and when it's called for and when it shouldn't be and why someone might or might not choose to end their life early. It's about who gets to make that decision and what the consequences might be. I can't say that it really changed my mind on the topic, but it was fantastic to see it presented so empathetically and from so many different points of view.

I'm really excited to read the next book, which I've heard is even better than the first one. This is one of those books I may end up pushing on everyone around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel