The Kite Runner

I saw the movie based on this book ages ago. My mom read the book at about the same time, but I didn't pick it up. It was during a time in my life that I wanted light and easy books, escapist fantasies. This book was a bit too heavy for me to commit to.

But I did eventually get around to it. And I'm glad I did. It's a beautiful rumination on friendship and family. On class and culture. On guilt and atonement. It's about the ties that nothing, not distance or time or betrayal, can break completely.

We first meet the protagonist, Amir, as a young boy in Afghanistan. His father is a wealthy businessman and great philanthropist. They live comfortably, in a nice house with servants. Amir's father gives back to the community in every way he can, from building and funding an orphanage to giving money to every homeless person he comes across. His great disappointment is Amir, who is constantly failing to live up to his expectations.

Amir and Hassan, the servant's son, are close. But there's never any doubt that Amir is somehow better than Hassan, that he is the unquestioned leader in their relationship. And when their friendship falls apart, due to inaction compounded by shame on Amir's part, it falls apart disastrously.

Amir eventually grows up, and he is eventually granted a way to make amends for his past behavior towards Hassan, and that journey is the heart of the story. There's no happy ending here; a happy ending would be disingenuous. But there's reconciliation and hope, which is far more fitting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel