A Natural History of Dragons

I really ought to have picked up this book ages ago. I loved Marie Brennan's Onyx Court series, and this one has dragons. I put it off because it got somewhat mixed reviews. But then the good ones started to outweigh the bad ones and I decided to give it a shot. The good news is that now I don't have to wait too long for the final book to come out. I can read through the whole series pretty quickly.

The series is about dragons, but from a scientific perspective and with a Victorian slant. As such, it's a bit slower than a typical dragon story.  The focus is more on learning and discovery than fire and treasure. But that doesn't mean there isn't action. The book has more than one thrilling dragon attack, it's just that the dragons are treated as animals rather than mythical creatures. Like big cats or bears.

The book is structured as a memoir. The aging Lady Trent is finally telling the truth about her youthful adventures and how she came to be a leading expert on the subject of dragonss. She interjects a lot of fun commentary about hindsight. It also goes a long way to smoothing over some of her ruder behavior that she's ultimately ashamed by it.

I really enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. The marriage of dragons and science hit a perfect sweet spot for me. There was also a fun nod to Dracula, which basically cemented my love for this book. I'm excited to read about the rest of Lady Trent's adventures with dragons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel