Come As You Are

Come As You Are is the rare book that you can actually judge by its cover. Which I did. I'd heard the book was good and interesting. But it was the cover art that actually sold me on it. Well, that and a friend recommending it for our struggling book club.

This book is all about women's sexuality and the recent research that somehow fails to bust many of the most prevalent myths surrounding it. It goes through those myths systematically breaking them down and replacing them with new theories that aim to describe women as something other than "men, but broken", at least when it comes to sex and orgasms.

It gets a little bit repetitive at times. And I was actually already aware of a good chunk of the information presented, thanks to being a smart, curious woman with access to the internet. But there were some chapters with new-to-me information that I found interesting.

The style of the book actually took me the most by surprise. It seemed to be aimed specifically at millennial women. And while I'm certainly comfortable talking about my Feels and understanding Snapchat metaphors, I'm less sure that the book would be quite as accessible to older women. Or that it will age particularly well. Then again, perhaps the research and culture will both advance quickly enough to warrant a new edition before too long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel