The Maze Runner

When my husband and I first got together, he convinced me to watch a movie called The Cube. The Cube is a pointless exercise in hypothetical psychological experimentation. It's a puzzle with no answer, a scenario with no context. The ending left me feeling both betrayed and angry. I could have spent that time sleeping. I still haven't forgiven my husband for making me watch that movie. It's 90 minutes of my life that I'm never getting back.

The Maze Runner is like The Cube, but with bad writing and barely sketched in characters. (Part of the betrayal of The Cube was in how much I came to care about the poor, doomed characters. All except the one that managed to survive). It is just as pointless. Just as infuriating. The only reason I don't hate it as much is because I can't bring myself to care that much about a bunch of posturing, teen-aged boys.

I could go on a whole rant about the lazy, stilted writing. The main character whose entire memory has been erased except when the author needs to make use of a metaphor. The single, solitary girl who basically exists to not get raped. Which is a step above existing to get raped. But every single scene she's in there's this other dude warning everyone else to not lay a finger on her and it's supposed to make you like him more but it makes the girl nothing more than a prop. And then a love interest for our main character despite their total lack of chemistry.

I won't go on that rant, though. The book isn't worth it. I have only myself to blame for reading the whole thing, even though I suspected the ending. Maybe the rest of the series reveals some much-needed context. But I couldn't even make it through the Wikipedia plot summaries, let alone the books themselves. So, you know, avoid this series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel