Nemesis Games

This was a long book. And yet, when I turned the page and saw that it was over, I actually said "no" out loud.

I've fallen deeply in love with The Expanse over the past year or so. Now, in the fifth book, we're officially past the point of objectivity. I love these characters and this world. I love hanging out here and seeing all the ugly, beautiful innards of humanity put on display. There is jaw-dropping evil and moments of incredible grace and caught up in the middle of it all are four humans who have finally found their family and will fight like hell for it.

I was ecstatic to discover that the four points of view in the book are the four crew-members of the Rocinante. Sure, Holden always gets a point of view, and there was a novella that centered on Amos. But digging into the psyches of Naomi, Alex, and Amos, learning the backstories and what makes them tick, was an absolute treat.

Less of a treat was the fact that, with the Rocinante undergoing repairs, the four of them split up early in the book to pursue a variety of loose ends. The book starts off as four unconnected stories. But this is the crew of the Rocinante, and trouble seems to find them. It isn't long before they're all swept up in the same struggle, watching it unfold from all over the solar system.

This book may start as four light stories about people tying up the loose ends in their past lives. But it quickly becomes brutal. I was worried that at least one of the four main characters might not survive to the end of the book - it was touch and go more than once. It all turned out okay, as I knew it would, for a certain value of okay anyway. I have no idea where this series is ultimately going, though. I'm excited to see what happens next and where it all leads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel