The Name of the Wind

I love this book. It's one of my favorites. I've read it several times, and it's just as good each time. There are so many layers here, so many hints and mysteries, that each re-read rewards me with a little more understanding, a few more answers to my questions.

When Pat Rothfuss announced the 10th Anniversary Edition, I had to get it. And while it sat on my shelf for a while before I got around to reading it, the anticipation just makes it that much sweeter.

I've talked about this book, at length, on this blog. So I'm just going to talk about the fancy new edition now. There's a new (equally opaque) map. There are discussions of the calendar and the money. Most of this information can be gleaned from the text, but it's nice to have it all laid out in an easy-to-reference place. There's even a pronunciation guide.

But best of all, there are illustrations. A bunch of them, showing key scenes in the book. The illustrations were the whole reason I wanted this book, and I was not disappointed. My favorite was easily the portrait of Kvothe's parents, which actually made me tear up. We get a drawing of Denna, which has me agreeing with Bast - her face is too narrow. And there are several illustrations of Kvothe himself that serve as an excellent reminder that he spends most of this story as a precocious fifteen-year-old. It's easy to forget how young he is when you're reading the book, but the drawings keep driving it home.

I don't have much more to say. I love this book. I love this edition. I hope there's a 10th Anniversary Edition of The Wise Man's Fear. I almost hope it comes out before the third book, so I can have an excuse to read these books yet again and hunt for clues and theorize about what happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel