Dad is Fat

I haven't actually listened to much (any?) of Jim Gaffigan's stand up. I mostly know him from his stint on My Boys, which I really liked when it was airing and re-watched several times when we first got Netflix. His mostly this cultural presence whose existence I've absorbed through osmosis. I always recognize him, and I see him more than I expect to, but I never really seek him out.

And so his memoir, sitting on the shelf at the library used book sale, was just a spur of the moment grab. I recognized his face, and I enjoy his humor more often than not, and it looked like a quick read, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I basically got exactly what I was expecting.

Gaffigan is a father of five, and his book (co-written with his wife) is basically about that. He complains about being a dad. Finds humor in the weird things kids do. Complains about being tired all the time. Finds the humor in his exhaustion. It wasn't anything I was terribly unfamiliar with (though I have one kid in a large, single-family home and he has five kids in a two-bedroom apartment in Manhattan which makes me shudder just thinking about it).

This book was quick and light and something I appreciated as a parent. Kids are infuriating. But you love them so much. That combination of frustration and joy is universal and it was enjoyable to spend a day reading about it from a slightly different (but really not that different) perspective.

Maybe I will look up one of his stand up specials when I have an hour or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel