A Blink of the Screen

At this point it's probably time to admit that I'm a Terry Pratchett completionist. He might not ever be releasing any new work, but there are still a handful of books that I haven't gotten around to yet. It'll be a while before I don't have any new Pratchett to read. And considering that I'm in the midst of an epic and constant Discworld re-read, I may not ever be done reading him entirely. I'll just keep picking up his books and discovering new things in them and laughing at old jokes and wrapping them around me like a favorite sweater.

The point is that this collection of short stories is really only for people who want more Terry Pratchett no matter what. It's not for casual fans. Pratchett isn't great at short stories (he admits as much in the intro for one of them). And most of these were written before he started writing novels. It's rough and unformed, but you can see the writer he eventually became.

That said, there are a couple of gems in here. "The High Meggas" was really interesting, and now that I know it eventually got turned into The Long Earth and it's sequels, I'm really looking forward to picking those books up. There were also some fun Discworld stories, particularly one about Granny Weatherwax, who is always a joy to read about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel