Chaos Choreography

I missed Verity. The last two books, narrated by her brother Alex, were fine. But having Verity back in the spotlight was so much fun. She's everything I loved about Buffy but more mature, and her books are an absolute delight to read.

This one sees her returning to the world of reality TV to give her dance career once last chance before retiring it forever. But when it turns out that someone (or something) is murdering the eliminated contestants as part of an arcane ritual - and doing a surprisingly good job of covering their tracks - Verity gets sucked right back in to her other life.

I think my favorite part of this book was the introduction of Verity's grandmother, Alice, who arrives as backup after the first bodies are found. She's incredibly rash and incredibly experienced and it makes for a really fun combination. There are also hints at all sorts of other adventures that make me want to dive in to the plethora of short stories McGuire has written in this world. It's an incredibly rich world with a ton of depth and history. And short stories seem like an excellent way to explore that. Especially since so many of them are available for free.

The next three books all feature Verity's younger sister Antimony. She's largely an unknown at this point in the series, and I can only hope that I find her as fun and interesting as Verity. McGuire's somewhat better at female characters than male characters (similar to my preference for Verity over Alex, Alex's girlfriend Shelby is way more interesting than Verity's husband Dominic), so odds are good that I'll like her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel