Zorro

It took me a while to get in to this book, but that was more an issue of timing than the book itself. I shouldn't start epic tomes when I know I'm going to be too busy to read for a week. When I did manage to sink into the story, I got a fun, swashbuckling adventure about an idealistic young man. Which is exactly what I wanted.

I particularly enjoyed the narrator of this book. The mystery of her identity (which I figured out long before she revealed herself, as the book expected me to) was a fun hook dragging me through some of the more tedious sections. And her occasional snarky asides added some fun flavor to the book. I loved when the narrator is a character, and Allende did an excellent job of that here.

The only thing this book is really lacking is a sequel. Just when it was really getting good, when Diego de la Vega had fully embraced his identity as Zorro and completed his first mission, the book ended. This was more of an origin tale than a series of adventures. And I would have liked to have read about those adventures. But for what it is, this was a fun and engrossing book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel