Warleggan

I'm now a third of the way through this series, though for twenty years, this was the last book in the series. It works as an ending, mostly because things are actually looking up when this book ends. Everyone is settled, more or less. Ross and Demelza are finally making money, Dwight is finally engaged to a woman he can be with, Ross and Elizabeth seem to have broken off for good now that she's married to his greatest enemy. It's a good ending.

Somewhere along the way I really came to care about these characters. That happens when you're this deep in a series. Either you want to know about the people you're reading about or you stop reading. And I find myself wanting to know what happens next (even as I want them all to just stay happy for a while). Graham's style finally works for me, and I'm not sure if he's improved or finally worked things out with his editor (who cut nearly 200 pages out of the first two books) or if I'm just getting more familiar with it.

At any rate, I'm happy to spend the rest of the year lazily following the adventures of Ross, Demelza, and the people surrounding them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel