Night Watch

Night Watch is the 29th novel in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. It centers around a really fun time paradox that involves the commander of the city watch traveling back in time thirty years where he acts as his own mentor.

I think the time paradox is handled really well. The book follows the idea that even if you change a bunch of little things, most of the bigger things are going to happen anyway. Once some things have been set in motion, there's nothing that can stop it. Even though Vimes changes some details -e.g., anticipating where an attack will come from - the larger events happen as he remembers them.

This book wasn't as laugh out loud funny as a lot of other Discworld novels. It was certainly amusing. But it had a different feel. This book seemed deeper and more serious than the ones that came before it. It was still really gripping throughout, though. Almost moreso, since the stakes seemed a bit higher.

Night Watch also gave me a much deeper appreciation for two Discworld regulars: Sam Vimes and Havelock Vetinari. Both of these characters get some back story filled in and it really helps me understand what makes them tick. I may have to go back and revisit the other books in the City Watch arc now that I know where these two are coming from. I expect it will give me a better appreciation for their journeys.

I enjoyed this book a lot. I think it's one of the better Discworld novels, and it was basically perfect for a plane ride (I finished it in exactly two flights). Next up, I get to revisit Tiffany Aching in A Hat Full of Sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel