The Fault in Our Stars

I'd been hearing extraordinary things about John Green's latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, for a while. They were good enough and numerous enough that I finally decided I simply couldn't wait for the paperback edition.

And holy crap you guys, this book. This book. Emotional whiplash in the best possible way.

It only took me 14 pages to fall so in love with the main character that I was weeping. A few pages after that the tears turn to laughter. And then Hazel Grace Lancaster went and punched me in the gut with this line:

I told Augustus the broad outline of my miracle: diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer when I was thirteen. (I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die.)
The rest of the book was a similar roller coaster ride of emotions as Hazel deals with the cancer that is going to kill her (probably sooner than later) and with the fact that she might be falling in love with Augustus. Even though he's clearly interested in her, she doesn't want to leave him devastated when she dies.

I ended up reading this book in less than a day. And it just destroyed me. I'm hesitant to give away too many details, because I really think you should read this, too. Don't let the YA scare you off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel