The Magician King

I have to say that I enjoyed Lev Grossman's The Magcian King much more than it's prequel, The Magicians. It becomes clear pretty quickly that, once again, Quentin isn't satisfied with his happy ending. Being a king in Fillory has left him bored and restless. The book opens with him wanting something to change.

When things do change, he's not terribly happy about the direction they go. But he's able to recognize that this is what he wished for and to make the best of it. Quentin is growing up, and that makes him far more likable than he was in the first book.

Interlaced with Quentin's story, is Julia's, which is mostly far more interesting. I like Julia a lot better than Quentin. She's just as miserable, but she's trying to do something about it. And when she finally achieves contentment, she recognizes it, even if it is too late for her to hold on to.

The end of the book seemed to be structured a bit strangely. The order of the chapters leeches some of the suspense from the climax of Julia's story, since you know where it ends. But I still like where she ended up. She gets the happy ending she deserves. Meanwhile Quentin gets something that will be even more useful for him: a hopeful beginning.

There is, apparently, a third book coming out. I'm interested in reading it, if only to find out where Quentin's journey leads him next. But I would also be perfectly content to let the story end here. This ending was more satisfying than the ending of the last book, and the story as a whole feels complete. I'm really glad I read these books, and that the second one made me appreciate the first one more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel