Wintersmith

Wintersmith is yet another of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. It's the third in Tiffany Aching's arc, the subseries aimed at a younger audience. I picked it up because it was snowing and I was in the mood for something wintry.

The more I read about Tiffany Aching, the more I fall in love with her. She's incredibly smart and resourceful. She makes mistakes, because she's still growing and learning, and then she owns them. She does everything in her power to set things right, understanding the difference between something being her fault and it being her responsibility.

In this book, inspired by the music, she decides to dance at a winter festival, despite the warnings of her elders. Doing so attracts the attention of the God of Winter, who accidentally falls in love with Tiffany instead of Summer. This happens at the same time as Tiffany is navigating the beginning of something more than friendship with a boy she's known for years. The pitfalls of a first romance were a lot of fun to read about, as was Tiffany's no-nonsense, slightly exasperated attitude.

I'm really excited to get to the final Tiffany Aching book and see how her story ends up. But I need to restrain myself because I have a whole lot of other books I should read first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel