100 Bullets: The Counterfifth Detective

While the fourth volume in Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets series made feel like I was finally figuring things out, the fifth volume has left me more confused than ever. Everything I thought I knew has gone out the window, and it's becoming more clear than ever that there are no good guys in this tale. I'm not even sure there are bad guys and worse guys anymore. Everyone is awful in a way that I hardly know who to root for. I love it.

Like the Esiner-winning third volume, this one has a single, longer, story, instead of several very short ones. A character I'd thought (hoped) that I'd never see again turns up to wreck havoc with no clear motivation. The protagonist of the tale, Milo, barely sees it coming, though he does his best to stop him. He can't help but be one step behind everyone around him, though. Which is interesting because at this point the reader can almost keep up with the antagonists. Seeing the destruction coming makes it even harder to read.

The Counterfifth Detective reminded me strongly of Frank Miller's Sin City and is probably actually an homage to that series. It honestly felt like this story would fit right in, Milo downing beers with Dwight and Marv at Kadie's. Actually, Milo and Dwight would probably get along really well, what with the whole reconstructed face thing.

Of course now I want to go re-read Sin City, which will be easier than moving on with this series since I already own it. That could be a good summer project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel