The Curse of Chalion

My mom got my Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion when I was in high school. I read most of it then, but I put it down and never finished it. All I can think is that the next Harry Potter book was coming out, because now I can't imagine putting this book down. Especially since my bookmark indicated that I'd made it nearly 3/4 of the way through.

Wait, I need to show you the bookmark I was using in high school. It makes me really happy.



So back to this book, which is high fantasy and has magic, but is also inspired by Spanish history. In fact, the map of this world is supposedly the map of Spain, with north and south switched. It's more concerned with politics than action, which is possibly why I less interested in it as a teenager. But now I find that sort of thing fascinating.

Cazaril is the main character. At the opening of the book he is trudging home after escaping from slavery aboard a galley ship. When he makes it home, he finds a station as the secretary tutor of the 16 year old princess, Iselle. Iselle is one of the best characters I've encountered in a long time. She's determined to see justice done, but is headstrong and rash in a way that threatens to interfere with her good intentions. Still, she's shrewd and observant and Cazaril's tutelage turns her into a force to be reckoned with.

Iselle's entire family is under a curse, thanks to the actions of a recent ancestor. The book follows Cazaril's discovery of this curse and his sometimes reluctant attempts to lift it. There's a lot of philosophy in the book. Bujold creates a really interesting religion that forces the characters to ask a lot of questions about free will.

All in all, I'm a little mad that I didn't pay more attention to this book a decade ago when I first got it. At least I finally did get around to it. And the good news is that now I don't have to wait around for the sequel - it's already been written. Along with several other books and series from Bujold. I'll definitely be checking out more of her work in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel