Sourcery

The early part of the Discworld series sure is full of Rincewind. Three of the first five books star him, including Sourcery. It's a little disappointing, since I don't remember liking Rincewind very much. Though I think my dislike of him builds over the course of his series. I also don't really remember reading this book. Which at least means that I probably didn't hate it.

To my pleasant surprise, I found myself enjoying this book more than I expected to on the re-read. Rincewind is still at the point that I identify with him. He just wants a quiet, boring life. None of these death-defying adventures that keep tripping him up. And I get that. I'd be perfectly happy with a little cottage and a quiet job in a library. I think it's in his next book that Rincewind really starts to become insufferable.

There's a lot in here that I forgot, from the Ice Giants to the genie to the Pedestrians of the Apocalypse (their horses get stolen). It was fun to see everything come together, and to see Pratchett dive more into  plot heavy books. He also starts looking at some heavier issues, like power structures, class, and child abuse. This book still isn't quite what I think of when I think of Discworld (probably because I forgot so much of it), but the series is getting more familiar with each installment.

Next up: Witches, Shakespeare, and a book I actually remember reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel