Scarlet

The second book in The Lunar Chronicles twists the story of Little Red Riding Hood into Meyer's futuristic world. But it does this while continuing to follow Cinder's adventures as she escapes from jail and plots her next course and Emperor Kai's political problems. I would have liked for Scarlet and Cinder to meet up a little earlier, but this is still a fun and thrilling adventure that I enjoyed even more than the first one.

I like the modifications Meyer made to the story, connecting Scarlet's grandmother to Cinder's past so there would be a reason for both girls to go looking for her. Scarlet is smart and practical and slow to trust, but the devious wold eventually wins her over anyway. I almost started trusting Wolf, even though I knew he would eventually betray Scarlet. That's what the wolf does. But he's more complicated than simple bad guy here, and that makes for a fun and interesting love interest for Scarlet.

Meyer does an excellent job of upping the stakes and tying together plot threads without revealing all her cards. There are still some really exciting places for this story to go. I can't wait to get my hands on the Rapunzel story that comes next. And I really should go back and read the short-stories that have been included in each of the first two books. I don't think they're necessary, but I'm ready to get some more background on this world and these characters now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel