The Vile VIllage

I'm just past the halfway point of Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, and I have to say that it's getting really good.

The seventh book brings the orphans to a village, where instead of a single guardian they will be raised by the proverbial village. It doesn't work out so well, although they do meet Hector, who may be the best adult they've ever encountered, other than Uncle Monty. They have to evade Count Olaf while searching for the Quagmire triplets (who are handily nearby). There's a series of poems that form a puzzle. The answer was obvious pretty early on, but I actually couldn't figure out how it related to the poems until Snicket laid it all out.

There are also clues towards the greater narrative. Another eye tattoo appears, this time on the ankle of a would-be ally who appears to be a relative of the author. The "v" in VFD appears to stand for volunteer (volunteer fire department? I'm trying so hard not to spoil myself). And in the end, the orphans break from the system entirely and go on the run, standing accused of the (false) murder of Count Olaf.

I'm excited to see what happens next. Alas, the books are getting longer, and I can't tear through them in a single sitting anymore. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel