Republic of Thieves

Oh gods, I've gotten so far behind on these. I blame Hamilton. Just be glad that listening to that musical also slowed down my book consumption.

Republic of Thieves is the third of Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards books, and it might just be my favorite. Mostly because this is the book that finally introduces Sabetha, who has been lurking just off stage for the last two books.

Like Lynch's other books, this one alternates between two different timelines. In the present, Locke and Jean are recruited to run one side of an election. They are pitted against Sabetha, and the contest is deliciously close, as both sides have all the same training and tricks. The second timeline takes place when all three are teenagers, spending a summer with an acting troupe.

It was so much fun to see Locke and Sabetha dance around each other, both as awkward teenagers and accomplished adults. And I loved the way their courtship ended. It managed to ruin things in the present while keeping possibilities open in the future. Maybe. After Jean's love died in the last book, I was worried something similar would happen to Sabetha. I'm glad that there's a possibility of her coming back. Assuming the rest of the books get released. The fourth was scheduled to come out last month but was pushed back.

My biggest regret is that it took me so long to get to this book. I feel like I forgot a lot of stuff from the first book that would have helped fill out the edges of this one. So it's sad that there's still a while to wait before the next book comes out. Then again, it would probably be well worth revisiting all three of these in the future, knowing what I know now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel