Yes Please

Amy Poehler's memoir is a little bit all over the place. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it. I mostly did. There are fun stories about working as an improv comic and on SNL. Stories about childhood and friendship. But the book isn't all that cohesive. It's barely in order. It's almost like Poehler wrote until she had something nearly book length and then padded it with pictures, quotes, and dialogue from her work. (Ben and Leslie's proposal and wedding vows and recreated entirely.)

I wasn't really expecting more from a celebrity memoir. And I'm glad I picked this up for a buck at a used book store. I probably would have been let down had I paid full price. It was a quick fluffy read that served to get me out of the slump I was starting to fall into (Does only reading ~50 pages a day count as a slump?) Parts of it made me uncomfortable, but most of it was funny and comforting. And sometimes that's all you want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel