The Shadow Revolution

Probably the best thing about this book is that I now have Warren Zevon's Werewolves in London stuck in my head.

I won this book in the Worldbuilder's Lottery this past year. Every year, Patrick Rothfuss does a big fundraiser to raise money for Heifer International. There are auctions of donated items, and there's also a pile of stuff that goes in the lottery. Ever $10 donated earns you one drawing for the lottery. There's a lot of good stuff in there. There are also a few duds.

This isn't a book I ever would have picked up on my own. And even after I won it, the main selling point was that it was short. I could read it in a couple of days. Which I did. I was half-distracted the entire time, because this book never quite captured my attention. But it relies so heavily on well-worn tropes, that even that half of my attention span followed along with the plot pretty easily.

Technically this is the first book in a trilogy, which appears to be part of a larger world of loosely interconnected historical urban fantasy. It's a cool concept. The fact that it's written by a married couple means that the women are almost as abundant and interesting as the men. But the writing was sloppy and the transitions were non-existent (at one point the heroine goes charging off in a rainstorm to save her beloved dog with a hastily slapped together potion that may or may not work and there may or may not still be a monster out there, and the next scene is two days later with everyone hale and healthy). It was enjoyable, but forgettable. At least it was short.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel