Saga Volume 6

The sixth volume of Saga takes a much-needed leap forward in time. While I've enjoyed the series a lot so far, I was starting to feel daunted by how long it was potentially going to last. If it was supposed to cover the life of Hazel and she spent the first 5 volumes as an infant (maybe she aged up to toddler? I can't remember), then the series would never end. But when the story picks back up, Hazel is school-aged, probably 6 or 7 years old.

It's refreshing to have Hazel take a more active role in her own story. She makes new friends, pushes the plot forward, and is generally a lot more interesting than she was as an infant. It's nice that everyone else has been propelled into the future, too. It's allowed for some new normals to take hold, for characters to establish patterns and relationships rather than being in a constant state of upheaval.

I'll admit that I was somewhat lost in parts of this volume. Even moreso than when I read volume 5, where I was expecting it. It's been so long since I read the earlier volumes that I've forgotten what happened to certain characters, and where others even came from. Still, the story remains interesting with a lot going on. And my upcoming maternity leave will probably be a good time for me to catch up on comics, since I doubt I'll have the time or attention span for anything much longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel