The Tempest

The Tempest may just win an award for the thing I've been intending to read for the longest time. Back in 6th grade, my drama teacher gave me a copy and told me that I'd like it because of the magical elements. And it's one of Shakespeare's shorter plays - an excellent entry point for a precocious tween. But I never got around to it.

I know enough to recognize the references I see all around me. Prospero in Night Circus and his disappointment when his daughter rejects the name Miranda. "Hell is empty and all the devils are here" quoted or misquoted every time we as a nation take another step backwards. Caliban's War in the Expanse series and Full Fathom Five in the Craft Sequence.

I finally decided that enough was enough. Surely I was missing even more references than I was recognizing. As my teacher recognized all those years ago, this is one of those foundational works that ought to be required for anyone with a healthy interest in SFF. So I picked it up.

I was actually surprised by how quickly I read it. As I mentioned, it's one of Shakespeare's shorter plays, roughly half the length of Hamlet. But I usually struggle with plays a lot more than I did this time around. I don't know if there were more soliloquys or if I've just grown into a stronger, more observant reader. Either way, I didn't struggle to keep the characters straight. Not too much anyway.

I was also surprised by the ending, which I really didn't expect from a 400 year old play. But it's about justice more than revenge, which leaves room for forgiveness and a happy ending. I suppose I ought to have suspected that from a comedy but I didn't.

At any rate, I enjoyed this play. I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it, and hopefully it will enrich the rest of my reading life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel