The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home

The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home is a nearly perfect ending to a nearly perfect book. I have a small quibble about September's age, which seems terribly inconsistent. But then again time passes differently in Fairyland and even moreso when you get aged up and back down. And the story resonated a bit better with her being older. But it never quite felt fully explained.

The rest of the book is so good, though, that I can't be too mad. It does a great job of bringing back all the characters and places we've fallen in love with over the series. September ends the book firmly in adulthood, having taken her destiny into her own hands. She's not the queen, but where she ends up is even better.

And of course this book has all the lovely narration of the previous books. It's paced a bit better than them, too. And it was nice to actually spend time with September's friends in the beginning before the adventure kicked off. And then during the adventure, too. Her whole relationship with Saturday has always felt a bit uneven and forced to me, but it really paid off in this book.

I'm so glad I read this series. They were the perfect bedtime book, sending me off to dreamland without the stresses of the day. I'll almost certainly be revisiting them in the future, if only to share them with Gavin (after he's met Dorothy and Alice and Wendy and Milo of course). And now I need to find a new bedtime book to help me wind down at the end of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel