Ross Poldark

Back in April a friend of mine gifted me this entire twelve book series. I enjoy historical fiction, but the truth is that I don't read a ton of it. And this series, about a Redcoat who returns home from the Revolutionary War to discover his fiance thought him dead and is marrying his cousin, is not exactly in my wheelhouse. So it sat on my shelf while I wavered back and forth between reading it and taking the entire series to the local used book store.

But, as long as my to-read list is, I just can't pass up a free book. Especially when it's already sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. So I finally picked up the first one, telling myself that I was in no way committing to reading the whole series.

It actually took me a while to get in to this book. The style is a little obtuse, the characters' dialects can be difficult to parse, and it switches between characters more than I was prepared for. But I ended up liking that the focus was as much on Ross Poldark's tenants as it was on him and the rest of his class. I also liked that he seemed to get along better with the people who worked for him than the people he was supposed to be socializing with.

I didn't like some aspects of the story. His whole relationship with Demelza is more uncomfortable than not, and a lot of what Jinny goes through just feels unnecessary. But I'm at least interested enough to pick up the next book. So we'll see where it goes. I can stop any time if the discomfort outweighs the interesting bits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel