The Invasion of the Tearling

This book went in a direction I didn't expect, and I loved it. While the first one hinted that it takes place in our own far future, rather than the distant past or on another world, I didn't really think much of it. It was fun to see nods to Tolkien, and it allowed the author a quick shorthand for some of her world-building. I wondered vaguely where this might be taking place. As far as I know there aren't any pristine, unsettled landmasses that a group of travelers can get to and completely escape the modern world. But it honestly seemed like such a big plot hole that I tried not to think about it too much lest it ruin my enjoyment of the story.

In the second novel, Johansen embraces the setting, giving her protagonist visions of a woman who lived in her distant past, which happens to be our near-future. It's a fascinating combination of high fantasy and dystopian future that highlights some of the similarities between the two genres and asks whether anyone can really make a better, more equitable world. (Personally, I think William Tear ought to have read The Dispossessed before he made such grand promises of a better world.)

I liked Lily a lot, and I found myself impatiently awaiting her sections of the book. Kelsea's story was still interesting, but at the same time it was frustrating to watch her give in to her baser instincts while Lily was finding the courage to open her eyes from her complacence and fight for a better life. Even if that better life was only available to a select few.

This book left so many threads dangling that I cannot wait to dive into the final novel and see how it all ends up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel