The Haunting of Hill House

This book has one of the strongest openings of any book I've read in recent memory. I fell in love with it from the second sentence and never looked back. The entire book was atmospheric and lyrical and I can't wait to read it again.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons I'm going to need to read it again is that I felt like I missed a lot the first time through. That's more my fault than the book's. It demanded more focus than I could give it. When I tried to read it five minutes at a time between my kids' demands, I kept losing the thread. I had to go back and re-read sections, sure I'd missed stuff, only to discover that the book was simply too subtle for my sleep-deprived and kid-distracted brain.

But man, was it beautiful.

Hopefully next year I'll have a chance to revisit it, to really sit down and give it the attention it deserves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel