That Ain't Witchcraft

Once upon a time I had a book blog. I updated it consistently for years and years. But then my husband died and I didn't touch it for over four months. I kept reading though, and developed such a backlog that it just got more and more overwhelming.
 
But this blog remains valuable to me. Writing about books helps lodge them in my memory. And I enjoy being able to go back and see what I thought about a book I read years earlier. Especially if I'm trying to recommend something or considering another book by that author.
 
Anyway. It's time to work through the backlog. The key to eating an elephant is to just go one bite at a time, after all, right? So, one review at a time and I'll eventually catch up to where I am now. It'll be interesting to see what I remember about these books I read weeks and months ago and should serve as a decent kick in the pants to stay up to date with this thing in the future.
 
Anyway, That Ain't Witchcraft is the seventh book in a series, and it gets hard to talk about something like that without talking about the rest of the series. Especially since this particular series has a companion, spin-off series and the events of this book have huge implications for that series. (Not to mention the dozens of short stories set in this universe that I read earlier this year.)
 
It's all very complicated, but it's a nice kind of complicated. McGuire has done a good job of building up this world and introducing characters. Antimony, the narrator of this book, is still in hiding and avoiding her family to keep them safe. But that can only last for so long, and by the end of this book she is, thankfully, on her way to be reunited with them. In the meantime, she's built up a nice little found-family of her own, and it's nice seeing them team up to fight the forces of evil.

I've enjoyed reading about Antimony and her friends, but after three books, I'm also excited to move on to another member of the family. And I can't wait to see what sort of story her cousin, Sarah, has to tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel