The Grip of It

This is a haunted house story about a couple who moves to a new town looking for a fresh start. But I kind of felt like the woman should have been looking for a fresh start without her husband. Where she's an organized, ambitious, kind person who really deserves the best in life, he's a gambling addict who coasts by at a job he's barely competent at. (He's a lazy software engineer, which I have a personal vendetta against). He's dragging her down with him, and she needs to break free.

But she doesn't. The book just reaffirms their connection, as I knew it would. Oh well. 

Aside from not liking one of the main characters, I felt like the pacing of the book was a bit off. The house escalated things way too quickly. I can see how people get trapped when things build slowly, but this went from zero to sixty, and I couldn't believe that the couple would stay as long as they did. Then they managed to escape way too easily, without ever worrying about the next victims. All in all, it just fell a little flat for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel