The Witch's Heart

The Witch's Heart was an absolutely delightful retelling of Norse mythology. It centers on Angroda, a witch with the gift of prophecy. After fleeing Odin, who will do anything to learn what she can see, she falls in love with Loki and builds a family with him in the woods. But she can't hide forever. As the book marches relentlessly on towards Ragnarok, she does her best to try and save her children from their fate.

I loved this re-imagining of the classic myths, and it re-awoke my interest in Norse Mythology in general. I'd never heard of Angroboda before, but I recognized some of the stories about Loki and Thor and Freya. Those stories are usually the main attraction, but here they're side stories - Loki's excuses for not being around more. It also built on Skadi, who I recognized immediate because one of my best friends named her car Skadi in high school.

It was so much fun to get caught up in this world. And the best trick that Gornichec pulled was the passage of time. You really believed that these were immortal figures who barely noted the passing of the years (unless they were around growing children). Angroboda would fall into a routine and it would be vague to everyone, even her, just how many years, or possibly centuries, passed.

I definitely need to jump back into Norse Mythology and read more about Loki, Thor, Freya, Odin, and the rest. And I hope Gornichec comes out with another novel soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel