A Spindle Splintered

 I've come to expect certain things from Alix E Harrow. A deep understanding of tropes and stories. A delight in playing with them. A strong sense of justice and equality. A strong, young woman (or women) fighting for change.

Those are all present here. But this being a novella rather than a full novel, they're compressed and occasionally sketched in. I've read her other two books, so I can read between the lines here. But I still found myself wishing for something a little meatier in this Sleeping Beauty modernization.

That's really more praise disguised as complaint. I love reading Harrow's work, and I just want more of it. There were some really interesting ideas here - stories being the connection between multiple dimensions, the bones of those stories remaining the same even as the details change, escaping (or not) from your own story.

I'm excited that there's a sequel and I'll get to spend a bit more time in this world. Though I also hope that it isn't too long before Harrow writes another long book that I can really sink into.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel