Angel of the Overpass

Sometimes you find yourself so deep into a series, that you just keep reading beyond your enjoyment of it. Because some new twist appears and you have to find out what happens next. Even though you don't really care.

I really liked the first Rose Marshall book. It was fun and inventive and told an interesting, ambiguous story. I was lukewarm on the second book. I wouldn't have read or even expected a third book. But then, over in the Incryptid series, which takes place parallel to this series, major changes happened. A big bad was defeated in a way that would have huge repercussions for Rose, and I just had to see that play out.

So I guess I got my closure. But having gotten it, I'm not sure I needed it. My problem is with rose herself, who is feeling less like a character and more like a mouthpiece for the author. These books have lost a lot of the ambiguity that made them interesting. People are very definitely either good or bad, and that comes with a whole host of opinions that have very little to do with the plot. The result is a slow, overstuffed book that comes across as preachy at times.

The ending was good. The final; battle was satisfying and Rose herself is off on a new and interesting path. McGuire can probably write another three books in this series easily. I'm not sure if it was worth wading through the rest of the book to get to this inflection point. I don't think I'll be reading the further adventures of Rose Marshall if (lbr, when) they get published. 

I still enjoy her as a side character in the main series. I'm actually a little apprehensive about that series now. I felt similarly about the last book as I did about this one - too much talking, not enough action, and a frustrating lack of subtlety. But the next one is about a character I've been waiting to read about for a while. So hear I go again, chasing the plot possibly beyond my enjoyment. 

I think I'm just starting to outgrow this particular author. Which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel