A Tale of Two Cities

I read this book in high school, and unlike so many other people I actually did all of my assigned reading in school. I decided to re-read it because I didn't remember a thing about it.

What's weird is that I definitely remember reading this book. It was the first time I was allowed to read one of my grandfather's fancy books, so I took great care of it. I distinctly remember sitting in an auto shop, reading this for hours, while my first car got its first oil change (the first one I gave it anyway). I remember talking about the symbolism and taking quizzes. But aside from the knitting lady and the opening and closing lines, I couldn't tell you a thing about the plot or characters or anything.

Having re-read it, I think it's mostly because Dickens uses so many words. He repeats himself, goes off on tangents and comes back to the point within a single sentence. His descriptions are flowery. And while he sometimes sets the scene in an incredibly powerful way, more often than not I found my mind wandering. I ended up relying on that old high school standby: Cliff's Notes. Reading the summary for each chapter after I read the chapter itself helped me keep the plot straight. And as I got farther into the book, I needed the annotations less.

Still, it's frustrating to need those annotations. The book was certainly interesting, but not quite enough to command my attention all the time. I occasionally skipped entire passages and went back to look up the important bits later because I couldn't focus through Dickens' style.

Maybe I only needed to re-read this book to remind myself that I don't need to re-read it. There are better books out there. Better depictions of these events and themes. I'll try to spend my time on those in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel