Saga Volume 4

In the fourth volume, Saga finally jumps forward a little. Which is good. If this is going to be the story of Hazel's entire life, then we need some time to pass. Otherwise it will last forever.

Hazel has gone from newborn to toddler. Her parents have found a safe haven of sorts, and her mom is working while her dad takes care of her. He's chafing at having to stay hidden. Ilana is chafing at her job. And everything begins to fall apart all over again.

There's a lot of plot threads in this story, which means there's a lot to keep track of. But Vaughan handles it well, keeping most of the focus on the central family. I barely even realized that the bounty hunters and Lying Cat were missing until they showed up in the final issue. And in the meantime, the plot threads are starting to intersect in new and interesting ways. I'm really excited for Prince Robot IV to be basically switching sides in his quest for his kidnapped son.

It's hard to really talk about this book as a whole, though. There were some ideas that I really liked: people switching sides, and governments using an external enemy to allow them to ignore domestic problems. But mostly I'm just excited to see what happens next. This volume is so clearly just an installment in a much larger story. Until that entire story is available (which will be years from now), I don't really know how this all fits together. I'm enjoying it, but how do I judge it? Not to mention the fact that it's been so long since I read the last volume I forgot a lot. This is the problem with comics (and on-going comics, I'm glad Hawkeye's run is ending soon). They get so spread out, even more so than television shows, that it's hard to follow along. But waiting until something is complete doesn't always make sense either, since it can be expensive to collect the who run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crown of Swords

The People We Keep

Parable of the Sower: The Graphic Novel